Wednesday, November 23, 2016

Misadventures After a Failed Attempt at Island Life

So, understandably, I have been getting a lot of messages from my friends and family asking me, "What the damn hell is going on with you?" My mother recently sent me a text asking, "Where are you? Malaysia? Manila? " I didn't quite know how to answer because I felt like I was kind of in both. As many of you have probably gathered, my job in Thailand didn't exactly pan out. You know what they say: "Sometimes you take a job on a Thai island and it works out, and sometimes it doesn't." Oh, no one says that? That's just a phrase I made up to make myself feel better? OK well regardless, let's continue.





When I took this job in Ko Samui, I was extremely eager to sneakily slide back into Asia, like a teenager through the window after curfew--as if I had never left.  I was almost back to the desperation levels of 2011 Jess, who motivated by a crippling case of "British man broke my cold dead heart," sought out work as a (near) indentured servant in a South Korean Hagwon. I continued to assure myself that this job in Thailand would work out. How could it not? Sure, the pay was lousy and I had to fund my own flight, but what could go wrong? There was a school website! I had the word of people that I barely knew about the school. What else did I need? I wanted to get back to Asia, and in that moment, I accepted a job I knew little about. When my logical friends questioned my sanity before leaving, I exclaimed, "I would work on that island for free!" Little did I know that I would soon be eating my words like pad see ew.

Soon after I arrived, it became apparent that my school no longer had the funds to pay us. It may sound crazy to those of you who live in the Western world, as we have unions and other such things protecting our teachers. I am sure those of you who have worked internationally before are all shaking your heads, either remembering a time that you fell victim to this, or at least knowing someone who has. As the days wore on, I soon became more stressed out living on an island than I had been in a large, congested city. The morale of the staff was at an all time low. I was sad that I never got the chance to see the school when it was thriving, because I'm sure it was an excellent place to work. It really is a shame. I adored my students. Living across from the ocean wasn't too shabby.  Above all else, I really enjoyed my group of friends on the island. They took me in on day number one and adopted me as their own weird, little bear cub. I am eternally grateful for this.  This particular group of teachers is truly special, dedicated in a way that I have not yet seen. They continuously work day in and day out, even without the promise of a pay date. If I were a person who could work for free--believe me, I would have stayed. Unfortunately, I am unable to go without a paycheck. I have bills. I have student loans. I need to get paid for working. I am sure most of you would agree with me on this one. With all of this being said, I truly believe that no experience is ever really wasted if you come out of it with good friends.





I am currently sitting in my friend's apartment in Kuala Lumpur, recovering from a three day ultimate tournament in Manila. I was astonished that I was able to take my mind off of the job situation AND the election results for three entire days. My constant state of mourning was put on a brief hold. I think ultimate has this effect on most people.  Shout out to my team, who managed to make me smile for (almost) the entirety of the weekend. What a special group of weirdos. #TDD



For now, my plans are very up in the air, as they tend to be. Desperation leads to greatness, right? The situation in Thailand led me to find a second job tutoring Chinese students online. This job is clutch because I can work remotely. I am heading back to Vietnam to substitute teach and work online. Frankly, I am excited to have some more free time in Asia. Will this work out? Will it be forever? Will January bring the apocalypse? Time will tell. I like to look at all of my misadventures as more chapters for my book. Did I ever think that at 28 (and a half) I would be essentially jobless, wandering around Southeast Asia with one suitcase? Probably not, but that is what keeps life interesting.

Please don't see this post as a call for help. I am simply trying to be authentic and tell you that not all Thai island jobs work out. Surprising, I know. For every perfect sunset on Instagram, there are at least 25 pictures that were blurry first. Ya feel me?

Stay tuned for my next post which will hopefully be about how I won the Vietnamese lottery and fell in love with the man of my dreams. (Hey, ya never know)

Love ya lovers, friends, and those who fall into neither category.

JESS

(Probably my favorite teacher moment to date. My 16 year old boys--counter strike obsessed students--wrote me full length cards to say goodbye) 

PS. Shout out to all of my friends who have helped me along the way during this crazy transitional time. I'll get you back one way or another. 

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about this craziness. I know how excited you were to go back. The good thing is you healthy, your safe and you are surrounded by people who want to help you in some way. Stay positive, as things usually have a funny way of working out. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ms. Jessssssss! So sorry to hear about the Thai mishap! This is just another slight detour on your journey that will bring you to beautiful viewpoints you wouldn't have had the chance to see otherwise! Keep smiling, loving, playing and adventuring! It'll all work out I'm sure! XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep it up Jess, there's always a rainbow after the rain (and jeez... South East Asia is great, enjoy your time there you'll find a plan B!!)

    ReplyDelete